Saturday, March 1, 2014

13. What Money Cannot Buy

January 1, 2014, I took a stroll throughout Aravind Eye Hospital Pondicherry.  Through the eye of my dependable Olympus & Nikon cameras, I captured memories for the past month.  This would be my last chance to capture images of the hospital.  Thus on one of the rare moments when the hospital had very little patients, I was able to walk the hallways unobstructed, photograph the various rooms, and feel the undeniable atmosphere of this hospital’s purpose.

While the warm winter air breathed over the Aravind Pondicherry campus, I had a chance to chat collegially with Kannamma.  She and her husband Ravi  handled many of the details needed to start and maintain the operations of each hospital.  She's travelled much, and knew intimately all the key people at each of the locations.  Her charming and warm personality is ideal to deal with doctors and non-doctors alike.  As I packed my luggage and bade her farewell, I made a mental note to stay in touch with her, and to visit Ravi when I return.


Kannamma (right), enjoying a warm January 1
with Head of Pediatrics Dr. Vijayalakshmi (center)
and a long-time volunteer of Aravind (left)


January 2, on our final day in India, our taxi driver took us on the three-hour drive back to Chennai International Airport.  He spoke very little English.  Along the way, he suddenly pulled over at Melmaruvathur.  “Five minutes” he said, as he dashed out.  Dumbfounded, we waited in the car, out of which we saw a throng of people wearing red sarees, crowded around a small house with smoke rising.  When the driver returned, he said “temple”, then continued driving us to our destination.

Against the backdrop of passing scenery, I thought how I’ve been moved by the simple lives of the people I’ve encountered here.   The graciousness of Dr. Venkatesh and his wife Dr. Veena, the wisdom of Dr. Natchiar and Dr. RK, the friendship with the other superb surgeons – Dr. Prathmesh, Dr. Praveen & his wife Dr. Anupreeti – have all become a priceless memory.


My view of life has truly been changed.

This blog is dedicated to my special friends at Aravind Pondicherry...

Dr. Venkatesh
Chief Medical Officer & Professor of Aravind Pondicherry
Chief & Professor of Glaucoma

Dr. Veena
Chief & Associate Professor of Pediatric Ophthalmology


Dr. Anupreeti ( far left) and Dr. Praveen (second from left)
Dr. Praveen Dhanapal is Medical Officer of General Ophthalmology

Dr. Prathmesh Mehta
Medical Officer of General Ophthalmology

Dr. Manas Nath
Medical Officer of IntraOcular Lens & Cataract Clinic


And in tribute...

Dr. V
Father of Aravind Eye Care System


Back to "12. An Eve with the Founders", or
... Return to "1. The Path to Aravind"

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on completion of this huge project. I know it takes a lot of time and perseverance to write. Its an art to put your thoughts into words, which you did it marvellously. Its a very well presented and inspiring blog. I have seen many people coming to Aravind. Very few are keen to know the roots of the Aravind and its greater purpose. And you have understood its all perspectives in depth. You were not only at Aravind; you were really within Aravind. It was a great pleasure and privilege knowing you n Ting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Praveen. This is a special relationship with the you, with all the doctors, and with Aravind. We both would like to keep nurturing this relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very lucky to meet you in Aravind .Congratulations on you for finishing this experience.The picture and its accompanying essay are both excellent.
    I have gone back to work now. In my OPT I am very busy and tired .I am ready to do operation for cataract patient now.After the first case I will tell you .
    Doctors in Aravind are friendly.Their hospital is great for the poor.
    Qiululu from China

    ReplyDelete